Wednesday, July 17, 2013

[Discussion] Chapter 1

My first chapter. Wrote it almost a week ago, last Thursday. Halfway through the chapter, I got the idea for the ending and something that would happen several chapters laters. I didn't know how many pages and chapters it'll take, but rest assured, it will be there. I think of this chapter like the first time I played a videogame; it was hard at first, but quickly I became better at it just by playing. The following chapters are much more descriptive and, in my opinion, better.

Since this was such a short chapter, I don't have much to talk about it. Two of my friends have read this chapter and the other didn't get the ending. Both of them had trouble understanding the sitting order at the table, which makes it harder to imagine the scene. That is entirely my fault though, since I never described the setting. I did it on purpose though; I assumed everyone knows that the king usually sits on the head of the table, which is just one of those things the reader has to know or guess to get a better image of scene. I know, I know, I can't assume everybody knows that, but that's one of the reasons I wanted to create these discussion posts. 

I intend to use these discussion posts as a tool of clearing things up without revealing too much.
The following chapters will have more and more details and some are very easy to forget. I'm not forcing the details in there, I just happen to write something and then sort of pick it up and go along. For example, this was the sentence that decided the ending for this chapter:
"Even though he found the new king stupid and arrogant, a risk to the safety of their people, he knew that the king could have his head on display the next morning for the joy of crows, just by pointing his finger."
Shortly after I wrote it, many events in the following chapters took form. This is how the story has progressed so far and I intend to keep it that way.

That's about all of the relevant things I wanted to discuss for chapter one, so I'll go ahead and publish the next chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment